Jun

Four Operators Want To Take Over Cerrito Speakeasy Theater

Posted In: Community, El Cerrito
Four operators want to take over Cerrito Speakeasy Theater By Chris Treadway West County Times Posted: 06/04/2009 02:46:49 PM PDT Updated: 06/04/2009 04:16:38 PM PDT Four potential operators are interested in taking over the darkened Cerrito Speakeasy Theater. The city of El Cerrito said this week that the four candidates have until Monday to submit proposals for operating the movie [...]
May

Berkeley : Chocolate and Chalk Art Festival This Weekend

Posted In: Berkeley, Community
thumbnail for Berkeley : Chocolate and Chalk Art Festival This Weekend
CHOCOLATE & CHALK ART FESTIVALBerkeley, CA — The sidewalks along North Shattuck Ave. in the Gourmet Ghetto in Berkeley are the target of artists young and old, professional and greenhorn during the 13th annual CHOCOLATE & CHALK ART FESTIVAL on Saturday, May 30. With no fees to artists, areas of sidewalk will be assigned to participants to create their own [...]
May

El Cerrito Speakeasy to Close Indefinately

Posted In: Community, El Cerrito
Another favorite spot, closed… By Shelly Meron West County Times Posted: 05/19/2009 01:58:38 PM PDT Updated: 05/19/2009 02:00:07 PM PDT EL CERRITO – The Cerrito Speakeasy Theater is closed indefinitely, with the operators saying they have run out of cash for movies, food and payroll. “We don’t have any money to go forward,” said Catherine Fischer, who has been operating [...]
May

New Pizzaiolo -esque eatery @ Grand Lake

Posted In: Community, Good Eats, Oakland
thumbnail for New Pizzaiolo -esque eatery @ Grand Lake
This has been on the hush hush for awhile but based on the Craigslist ad it appears it won’t be much longer.  The peeps at the infamous Pizzaiolo on Telegraph in Oakland have released the details for their new pizza joint located near the Grand Lake Theater.  Pizzaiolo’s owner, Charlie Hallowell, has been fairly tight lipped about the sequel restaurant.  As this [...]
Apr

Jack London Market Planned Opening in 2009

Posted In: Community, New Developments, Oakland
thumbnail for Jack London Market Planned Opening in 2009
I am a San Francisco Ferry Building frequent shopper.  I love the energy, the fresh and local produce, and the quality food.  I love that I can wander along the waterfront while slurping oysters, munch on a fresh sourdough baguette, or delve into some fresh cheese from Cowgirl Creamery.  The East Bay is about to give birth to it’s sister, the Jack London [...]
Mar

EveryBlock.com : What’s Happening in Your ‘Hood?

Posted In: Community, Web/Tech
An interesting resource that I came across is EveryBlock.com.  EveryBlock filters an assortment of local news by location so you can keep track of what’s happening on your block, in your neighborhood and all over your city.  It lists everything from traffic stops and violations to houses for sale and apartments for rent to building permits and zoning to which restaurants [...]
Mar

Whut? Parkway to Close?

Posted In: Community, Oakland
thumbnail for Whut?  Parkway to Close?
Ok, that is it.  I’ve had enough of this economic crisis crapola.  Enough is enough!  I just got word that the Parkway in Oakland will be signing off on Sunday.  I can’t believe this.  THE PARKWAY, closing?  First Scharffenberger, then Elephant Pharmacy, and now The Parkway?  Another beloved East Bay iconic gem, gone. I’ve seen 49er-Raider games there.  I’ve seen Rocky [...]
Mar

Tour Wooden Window in Oakland: TONIGHT

Posted In: Community, Neighborhood Businesses, Oakland
thumbnail for Tour Wooden Window in Oakland: TONIGHT
Tour Wooden Window and Learn about Window Restoration and Replacement and the Green Movement The Oakland Heritage Alliance is offering people a unique opportunity to learn all about wooden windows -their care, restoration and construction – on Thursday March 12th. Please join us when Bill Essert, president and CEO of Wooden Window, will offer a special tour of his company [...]
Mar

Oakland Athletics 2009 Home Schedule

Posted In: Community, Fun for Grown Ups, Fun for Kids, Oakland
thumbnail for Oakland Athletics 2009 Home Schedule
Oakland Athletics 2009 Home Schedule (Updated as of 2/2/2009) APRIL DATE OPPONENT START TIME (ET) Saturday, April 4 Giants at Athletics 1:05 PM Friday, April 10 Mariners at Athletics 7:05 PM Saturday, April 11 Mariners at Athletics 1:05 PM Sunday, April 12 Mariners at Athletics 1:05 PM Monday, April 13 Red Sox at Athletics 7:05 PM Tuesday, April 14 Red [...]