Mar

A Day at Tilden Park

Posted In: Berkeley, Community, Fun for Grown Ups, Fun for Kids, Photos, Places
Tilden Park is one of those amazing places that makes that Bay Area…well, the “great” Bay Area.  Most people who move here never want to leave.  For some it is the food, for others it is the culture.  But for many it is the proximity to all things mother nature.  Yes, we are only 2 hours from skiing, 1 hour [...]
Feb

Hearts Around Town

Posted In: Albany, Berkeley, Community, Fun for Grown Ups, Fun for Kids
thumbnail for Hearts Around Town
In honor of Valentine’s I would like to give Marin Elementary School in Albany props for its fantastic community arts project entitled “Hearts on Solano.”  This adorable project was created by 3rd grade artists at Marin Elementary School and is funded by Albany Education Foundation & Marin PTA.  These creative, 3-D hearts can be found in local shops along Solano [...]
Feb

Please Drive Slow on Marin: Tonight’s Vigil Brought Many but Some Cars Still Didn’t Slow Down

Posted In: Albany, Berkeley, Community, Uncategorized
thumbnail for Please Drive Slow on Marin: Tonight’s Vigil Brought Many but Some Cars Still Didn’t Slow Down
Many of you have seen my facebook posts pertaining to a tragic accident that occurred Monday evening on the corner of Marin and Tulare at the Berkeley/Albany border.  On Monday evening an 18 year old male, who was on his skateboard and not wearing a helmet, was struck by an oncoming car and died late this afternoon.  Today, the Berkeley [...]
Oct

Harding Carnival and Pumpkin Patch

Posted In: Community, El Cerrito, Fun for Grown Ups, Fun for Kids
thumbnail for Harding Carnival and Pumpkin Patch
Step right up, step right up!  On Oct. 2nd from 12-4 Harding Elementary in El Cerrito will turn into a Harding Carnival and Pumpkin Patch. Last year the carnival was a great success.  This year they have taken the successes and added in more bang.  In addition to the typical carnival games like milk bottle knock-down, cake walks, tic-tac-toe, and [...]
Jun

Mr. Mopps in Berkeley isn’t going anywhere

Posted In: Berkeley, Community, Fun for Kids
I received a sweet call last weekend from Devin McDonald, the new owner of Mr. Mopps in Berkeley.  The call was in response to a post I did awhile back about the store closing.  Seems people keep walking in there saying “aren’t you closing?”  Well, they aren’t!  And I am truly thrilled that they aren’t.  You see, there aren’t a [...]
Jun

Dog Park in Albany?

Posted In: Albany, Community, For the Heck of It, Places
thumbnail for Dog Park in Albany?
A dog park in Albany?  They are one step closer to getting one! I was talking with a colleague about the new pool that is coming to Albany High School, and that conversation led to another conversation about the new fence that will be installed at Memorial Park to separate the ballpark from the rest of the park.  City Council [...]
Apr

How Much Rent for my House?

Posted In: Community, Rentals
thumbnail for How Much Rent for my House?
Ever wonder what the average rental rate might be on your house?  In your neighborhood?  It seems like in the world of short sales and REO’s that people are starting to rent a bit more.  I am often asked how much rent a particular house could get.  I am not in the rental market, but I do have some great [...]
Apr

Freecycle

Posted In: Community, For Buyers, For Sellers, Green Living
thumbnail for Freecycle
Ok, so last week I posted some great resources for recycling your unwanted items.  What I completeley forgot to mention was my FAVORITE reuse website, www.freecycle.org.  You can list items that you want to get rid of for free, as well as items that you are looking for. Example: I bought some shampoo and conditioner that I didn’t really like, [...]
Apr

Recycle Your Unwanted Stuff!

Posted In: Community, For Buyers, For Sellers, Green Living, Home Maintenance
thumbnail for Recycle Your Unwanted Stuff!
I have become a recycling junkie.  It is exhilarating.  Productive.  Cleansing.  Seriously.  For me there is something so refreshing about getting rid of crap. While I was on maternity leave I emptied out my closet (got rid of 8 bags of clothing), cleaned out the kitchen (2 boxes of glassware and vases), cleaned out my office (filled 6 boxes), and [...]