Nov

America’s First Cat Cafe

Posted In: Alameda County, Arts and Entertainment, Community, Food and Dining, For the Heck of It, Fun for Grown Ups, Fun for Kids, Good Eats, Neighborhood Businesses, Neighborhood Events, Oakland, Photos, Places, Uncategorized
thumbnail for America’s First Cat Cafe
America’s first cat cafe has opened in Oakland!  Cat Town Cafe  is an awesome cafe that helps the cats least likely to be adopted from Oakland’s municipal shelter.  It is getting a lot of press and doing some great work in the community!  If you love cats you should definitely check it out! You can make a reservation here  to guarantee a [...]
Oct

Albany Haunt Raises Fear and Money!

Posted In: Alameda County, Albany, Arts and Entertainment, Community, For the Heck of It, Fun for Grown Ups, Fun for Kids, Neighborhood Events, Neighborhoods, Photos, Places, Uncategorized
thumbnail for Albany Haunt Raises Fear and Money!
Albany Haunt not only raises your fear level but also raises money  for Alameda County Community Food Bank.  Krista and her family went to Albany Haunt this past weekend.  It is the brainchild of Sam DuBois, a creative teenager who decided that, in exchange for $2 and a donation to the local food bank, he would do his best to scare the bejeebers [...]
Oct

Berkeley Sunday Streets This Sunday, October 12!

Posted In: Arts and Entertainment, Berkeley, Community
thumbnail for Berkeley Sunday Streets This Sunday, October 12!
It’s going to be another lovely weekend, with weather stretching into the high 80s on Sunday- which is going to be perfect for Berkeley Sunday Streets!  If you haven’t been before, this is a must-do, particularly on what is sure to be one of the East Bay’s banner beautiful weather weekends. Berkeley Sunday Streets will be occurring this Sunday, from [...]
Feb

New Blue Bottle Coffee in Oakland!

Posted In: Architecture, Community, Fun for Grown Ups, Fun for Kids, Good Eats, Neighborhood Businesses, Oakland, Rockridge
thumbnail for New Blue Bottle Coffee in Oakland!
I was dropping my car off at the Toyota dealership on Broadway the other day and  as I passed by Oakland Tech I looked across the street and I noticed that the W.C. Morse building was not only looking clean and beautifully renovated but it was filled with people.  I made a mental note to check it out on the [...]
Feb

Smitten Ice Cream Coming to Rockridge!!!

Posted In: Community, Good Eats, Oakland, Rockridge
thumbnail for Smitten Ice Cream Coming to Rockridge!!!
Walking down College the other day I noticed that the Bakery that used to be across from Zachary’s is going to be a Smitten Ice Cream shop soon!  So I did some investigating and it turns out Smitten is made-to-order organic ice cream.  The woman-owned (yea!) shop opened in Hayes Valley in 2011  after she designed and built (wow!) a [...]
Aug

Beer Garden and Food Trucks Heading to Westbrae in Berkeley?

Posted In: Berkeley, Community
thumbnail for Beer Garden and Food Trucks Heading to Westbrae in Berkeley?
What?  Is this for real?  Is there really a beer garden coming to North Berkeley?  At a recent neighborhood block party I heard about this idea coming to town.  “WHUT?” I said.  “A beer garden in North Berkeley?”  My neighbor said “In the Westbrae district, across from the bagel shop.”  The next day I grabbed my running shoes and went [...]
Jul

July 4th El Cerrito World One Music Celebration

Posted In: Community, Contra Costa County, El Cerrito, Fun for Grown Ups, Fun for Kids
thumbnail for July 4th El Cerrito World One Music Celebration
July 4th is always a rockin’ time in the El C.  A dear friend of mine, Debra Sue Kelvin, and her husband, Corey Mason, throw one heckuva party every July 4th.  This year was no exception.  Good food, good shopping, good vibes, and AWESOME MUSIC.  My daughter sure did enjoy it.  🙂 More details: http://worldoneradio.org/worldone-festival-2012/